As computing becomes more ubiquitous in our objects, designers need to be more aware of how to design meaningful interactions into electronically enhanced objects. At the University of Washington, a class of junior Interaction Design majors is exploring this question. These pages chronicle their efforts.

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Noble & Gavia // Processing Sketches


Noble:

Processing was fun to experiment with.  It provides rich interactive examples that makes programming more enjoyable as your own changes to the code result in direct, on screen changes.  Experimenting with key commands, animations, and reactive 3D objects was especially enjoyable.  Below is an uploaded javascript sketch that I created by merging several examples together and playing around with them. The most difficult parts to understanding the processing examples are the math, multitude of variables, uncommented code, and abstract concepts, of which I hope to understand over time.

Gavia:

Having no experience with Processing (or code-writing in general, for that matter), playing around with this application for our first assignment in Physical IxD at first seemed a daunting exercise to me. I started by running examples and sketches I found on opensource.org, and clumsily learned how to change the color and size of various components. Tiny as these syntax changes were, I still felt excited at the possibilities they allowed for, and I had fun messing around with just those two attributes. However, I realized I still didn’t understand the basic structure of the program, so I visited processing.org and went through some of their basic tutorials, which were extremely helpful. The straightforward articles provided descriptions of basic commands, how they can be manipulated and combined with other commands, and gave some background on the intended use for the program. I learned how to use the setup, draw, and mouse command functions, about the difference between static and active modes, and how to export and distribute your work. I now have a fuller understanding of this application, and I look forward to tinkering with it more in the future.
Below in the comments is a link to an example that was given on the tutorial page that I manipulated; I made a sphere, copied and rotated it so that there are 5 in a flower formation; linked them to the movement of the mouse so that they will duplicate and move in relation to the mouse, chanced their color to blue, and dictated that the canvas would clear with a mouse click.
(To be edited in later)



Uploaded Sketch

2 comments:

  1. My Sketch: http://www.openprocessing.org/sketch/95938

    ReplyDelete
  2. void setup() {
    size(900,900);
    }

    void draw()

    {
    if (mousePressed) {
    fill(0);
    } else {
    fill(0,100,255);
    smooth();
    translate(width/2, height/2);
    ellipse(mouseX, mouseY, 50, 50);
    ellipse(mouseX, mouseY, 50, 50);
    rotate(radians(72));
    ellipse(mouseX, mouseY, 50, 50);
    rotate(radians(72));
    ellipse(mouseX, mouseY, 50, 50);
    rotate(radians(72));
    ellipse(mouseX, mouseY, 50, 50);
    rotate(radians(72));
    ellipse(mouseX, mouseY, 50, 50);

    }
    }

    ReplyDelete