As computing becomes more ubiquitous in our objects, designers need to be more aware of how to design meaningful interactions into electronically enhanced objects. At the University of Washington, a class of junior Interaction Design majors is exploring this question. These pages chronicle their efforts.

Friday, June 12, 2020

Nintendo Switch Teardown + Knolling

My reference: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+Switch+Teardown/78263



This teardown was actually really fascinating for me to get to learn more about the underlying components behind the Nintendo Switch, a console I use so regularly. I think the most fascinating aspect for me was finally getting to understand the HD Rumble Motor behind the vibration that happens during certain points in games. I always wondered if vibration was something that was damaging to a controller, but it was really interesting to find out that the actuator was designed to be resilient.

Another thing I learned from this teardown that surprised me was the presence of the IR hardware that Nintendo said is able to detect different hand shapes, distance, and in the future will be able to record video. This was really surprising to me and when I read more about the IR camera I learned that certain video games will be taking advantage of this function by having the user do mimic real life functions of the game using the Joycon (e.g. LA Noire requires you to reload by mimic putting a new clip in). It was really surprising for me to learn that a camera that complex could fit into a Nintendo Switch Joycon.

There are still lots of things that I am still learning about the Nintendo Switch but overall I was pleasantly surprised by how simplified the internal hardware was and I think I would feel more comfortable messing around with it in the event my Nintendo Switch ever fails on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment