As computing becomes more ubiquitous in our objects, designers need to be more aware of how to design meaningful interactions into electronically enhanced objects. At the University of Washington, a class of junior Interaction Design majors is exploring this question. These pages chronicle their efforts.

Friday, June 12, 2020

Original SPA Idea Documentation

Situation: Cat is on the counter.
Decision: If the cat is on the counter, play an alarm to scare him with a blinking LED.
Action: Execute script that plays the alarm and blinks the LED.

I started my experiment by finding a YouTube video that utilized Arduino to create an alarm that would sound in the event that light came into contact with the LDR.

However, this was the opposite of what I was hoping my project would do, as I imagined my cat would be covering up the LDR when he climbed onto the kitchen counter. I ended up making a very small change to the code by switching the variables so that the alarm would sound in the absence of light. I also added some text to the serial monitor as further indication that my cat was being bad.







//set pin numbers

const int ledPin = 13;
const int buzzerPin = 12;
const int ldrPin = A0;

void setup(){
  Serial.begin(9600);
  pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(buzzerPin, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(ldrPin, INPUT);
}

void loop() {
  int ldrStatus = analogRead(ldrPin); //read the state of LDR value
  if (ldrStatus <= 400) {
    tone(buzzerPin, 300);
    digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);
    delay(100);

    noTone(buzzerPin);
    digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);
    delay(100);

    Serial.println("CAT IS ON THE COUNTER DANGER DANGER");
  }
  else {
    noTone(buzzerPin);
    digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);

    Serial.println("No cat detected");
  }
}

No comments:

Post a Comment