As computing becomes more ubiquitous in our objects, designers need to be more aware of how to design meaningful interactions into electronically enhanced objects. At the University of Washington, a class of junior Interaction Design majors is exploring this question. These pages chronicle their efforts.

Monday, April 4, 2016

Dwight's Processing Experiment

For my processing experiment I worked with the Rotate example. This program uses a timer function to periodically spin a rectangle with a slight "jitter". My first step was to take this timer and re purpose it to spin the rectangle faster and faster as each second went by. I then also used the timer to slowly change the color of the rectangle from bold red (255, 20, 0) to pure blue (0, 20, 255).
I decided to add extra rectangles that slowly expand from the center of the image box outward, also corresponding to the "jitter" timer. Finally I added two new functions that made the program more interactive that depend on the user playing around with the mouse. 
The width and height of the rectangle are now dependent on the X and Y position of the mouse and when the mouse is clicked the expanding rectangles change to a random color. 
Through this  experiment I began to relearn how processing works and honestly how much I love coding. Taking a program and completely rewriting it to perform a different action was very exciting and a nice way to get back into the coding mindset. 


No comments:

Post a Comment