As computing becomes more ubiquitous in our objects, designers need to be more aware of how to design meaningful interactions into electronically enhanced objects. At the University of Washington, a class of junior Interaction Design majors is exploring this question. These pages chronicle their efforts.

Sunday, April 3, 2016

Jane Yu-Processing assignment

It's been an excruciatingly long time since I have worked with processing (which I do not have fond memories of). I thought I escaped it after August's class ended, but I didn't. For my processing assignment, I decided to mess around with the button press function because I remember toying with it in class. I messed around with the colors a lot and ended up with a function that would drag circles around the canvas that would constantly be flickering different colors, but once I clicked, it would range the size between 1 to 255 pixels in dimensions, so they could be ellipses of any proportion between those values.


 I didn't run into any extreme problems. Mostly, the problems were centered around making a certain error code go away that kept popping up when I would try to establish integers.

I was setting up my numeric random values such as "float x = random (1, 255);" but I kept getting an error. So I had to make the code realize that it was supposed to establish it as an integer within the line, so I changed it to say "int x = int (random (1, 255));" to solve the problem.

In the beginning, I was messing with the code a lot to try to get it to give me different colors
from the available values 1-255, but I didn't like it as it seemed to be a mismatch to me:


So I eventually looked up if processing could utilize a color palette and made use of that code, to which I was able to get the analogous red colors. But I wanted to also mess with the opacity for the colors which led me to this black and white version:

not my favorite, as it got rid of the color data, so I had to fiddle with it a bit as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment